Planning for Missoula's Future
Missoula Parks and Recreation is currently drafting a new master Parks, Recreation, Open Space and Trails (PROST) plan for the greater Missoula Valley. Learn more
The City and County adopted the Open Space Chapter of the PROST Plan in 2019. 2019 Missoula Urban Area Open Space Plan
The City of Missoula is committed to long-range strategic planning to meet the needs of citizens now and in the future. The 2004 Master Parks and Recreation Plan for the Greater Missoula Area guides staff in park planning, park improvements, recreation programs, and preservation of open space. Other, more specific planning documents provide greater detail and focus for staff.
We encourage you to review these plans and contact our director, Donna Gaukler at 406-552-6265 if you have any questions about Parks and Recreation projects. Hard copies of the plans are available for a small fee at Parks and Recreation Headquarters.
Additional Parks and Recreation Planning Documents
- 2019 Missoula Urban Area Open Space Plan (A chapter of the Parks, Recreation, Open Space and Trails Plan, in progress.)
- Missoula Parks and Recreation Design Manual, 2018 Edition (PDF), for Public Right-of-Ways, Greenways
and Other Public Recreation Facilities (supersedes the 2015 Public Landscape and Recreation Facilities Design Manual.)
- 2015 City of Missoula Urban Forest Master Management Plan
- 2014 Park Asset Management Plan (PDF)
- 2014 Turf Management Plan (PDF)
- 2010 Conservation Lands Management Plan (PDF)
- 2015 Inventory and Condition Assessment of Trail Systems on Conservation Lands (PDF)
2004 Master Parks and Recreation Plan for the Greater Missoula Area
The Comprehensive Master Park Plan establishes the goals, policies, actions, and implementation tools to provide a sufficient and high-quality green infrastructure of parks, trails, conservation lands, and recreational opportunities for all citizens in the greater Missoula area. This infrastructure acknowledges what Missoulians enjoy and desire in their community, leading to healthier individuals, a healthier community, and a healthier lifestyle. View a Synopsis of the Master Plan (PDF).
- Missoula Urban Area Parks Use Survey (PDF)
- May 2004 Final, Master Parks and Recreation Plan for the Greater Missoula Area (PDF)
- May 2004 Final Master Parks and Recreation Plan for the Greater Missoula Area MAPS (PDF)
- Parks and Recreation Planning Process Presentation (PDF)
- Annual Master Park Plan Update (PDF)
- 2011 City-County Parks Needs Assessment Survey (PDF)