Building Permit Information & Applications


Applications can be downloaded, printed (on legal-sized paper), filled out, along with the appropriate plans and documents, and brought to: Development Services

435 Ryman

Missoula, MT 59802

Legal description information (required for some permits) can be obtained from our Parcel / Address / Sewer Program.

Required Documentation

When making an application for a building permit, you must submit:

  • A complete, signed building permit application, including the legal description of the property, the owner, and contractor information
  • Impact Fee Application
  • A complete signed site plan checklist
  • Commercial:
    • Two copies of complete building plans
    • Two site plans
  • Residential:
    • One copy of complete building plans
    • One site plan
  • One signed Energy Compliance Certifications with checklist
  • A signed Fair Housing Acknowledgment and Certification
  • Affirmation of Lighting Ordinance (residential) or photometric drawing (commercial)
  • Asbestos letters (commercial remodels only)

Site Plan Checklist

The building permit application and site plan checklist must be printed and scaled to fit on 8.5" by 14" legal paper in order for this office to accept and process your application. If any of this information is incomplete or missing, the application process will be stopped. These forms may also be obtained from our office.

When Building Permits are Required

Building permits are required for the following:

  • Additions
  • Commercial building projects
  • Commercial storage buildings and garages of any size
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Most new residential construction projects
  • Remodeling
  • Siding
  • Signs or fences over 7' in height
  • Swimming pools
  • Residential or commercial roofing
  • Residential storage buildings and garages over 200 sq. ft. of floor area *
  • Retaining wall

More Requirements

This list does not contain all types of work requiring a permit. Please call our office at 406-552-6635 before starting any type of work to determine whether you need a permit. Any residential buildings with interior dimensions of 120 sq. ft. or less do not require a building permit. More detailed information regarding required forms is available for commercial permits and for residential permits.

Form Size

All building permit forms must be submitted on legal size paper (8.5" x 14"). When using from Adobe Acrobat Reader, set the paper size to legal before printing.

* Storage buildings under 120 sq. ft. may require a permit or approval from zoning.