Fence Permit Information


Development Services is responsible for the administration of the City of Missoula Municipal Code (MMC) Fence Ordinance (MMC 12.31 (PDF)) and related information regarding visibility obstructions.


The following information is available to help you through the fence permitting process:

Completed Applications

Fence permit must be submitted electronically on the Missoula Citizen Portal.
Staff will review the application and email will be sent when the permit is ready to be paid and issued. 
Standard fence permit fees and conditions apply to fences constructed entirely on private property. Encroaching fences are fences constructed partially or entirely on public property (Right-of-Way) and require a higher fee and are subject to additional conditions and restrictions.


Additional questions may be best addressed by meeting with one of the Engineering inspectors at Development Services. You may schedule a meeting or ask questions by calling 406-552-6636.