- Parks & Recreation
- Parks and Trails
- Visiting Parks & Trails
- Pets in Parks
- Where Can My Dog be Off-Leash?
Where Can My Dog be Off-Leash?
City ordinance requires that dogs must be leashed on all city streets, trails, and parks. Pet owners must immediately remove their pet's waste from public spaces.
Pet owners can ensure the success City dog parks by following a few simple rules:
- Owners must clean up after their pets immediately
- No aggressive dogs allowed
- Dogs must be licensed and vaccinated
- Report rule infractions to Animal Control 406-541-7387
Dogs may be off-leash and under voice control in the following areas:
MRL Park Dog Area
2300 Johnson, at the corner of South and Johnson. This .8-acre double-gated dog park opened in Fall, 2018. The remainder of the new MRL Park will open in June, 2019.
Fort Missoula Regional Park Sgt. Bozo Dog Park
4-acre double-gated dog park with separate area for small dogs, west of tennis courts and softball diamonds. Closest parking lot is at tennis courts, 3219 Fort Missoula Road. Map
Hellgate Small Dog Park
Hellgate Park is an undeveloped park at 1535 E. Broadway. The dog park is for dogs under 30 pounds and/or less than 14" tall. Map to parking area
Jacobs Island Bark Park
6 S. Van Buren. 6 acres at the east end of Jacob's Island Park has been fenced on three sides and double-gated to provide a secure place for owners and their dogs to romp, get the exercise they need, and have fun off-leash. The park is bordered by the Clark Fork River and the riverbank is not fenced.
Playfair Park Pup Pen
3001 Bancroft. Fenced area just west of the basketball courts at Playfair Park provides a secure place for dog obedience and agility training.
Some Areas on Mount Sentinel and North Hills
Pick up and pack out your dog's wastes. Leashes are required where posted on Mt. Sentinel, the M trail, and trail sections on the south face. On the North Hills, dogs must be leashed on the first 300 yards of Waterworks trail and where posted. Dogs must be under voice restraint in other areas. Voice restraint means that the dog's owner or custodian is in clear view and personally present within 25 yards of the dog and able to effectively control and recall the dog at all times.
Some Areas on Mount Jumbo
Pick up and pack out your dog's wastes. North of the Saddle Road is closed to dogs and people from December 1 to April 30, and dogs are allowed off-leash under voice restraint from May 1 to November 30. Voice restraint means that the dog's owner or custodian is in clear view and personally present within 25 yards of the dog and able to effectively control and recall the dog at all times.
The south side of the Saddle Road is closed to dogs and people from December 1 to March 15, and dogs are allowed off-leash under voice restraint from March 16 to November 30. Lands below Upper Lincoln Hills Drive, the "L" trail (but not beyond) and U.S. West easement above I-90 is open to dogs, however, dogs must be leashed December 1 to April 30. From May 1 to November 30, dogs must be under voice restraint.
USFS Missoula Ranger District Recreation Areas
Pick up and pack out dog waste.
Rattlesnake National Recreation Area and Ravine Trail 34
- December 1 to March 1: No dogs from the southern boundary and up Rattlesnake Creek to Milepost 1.7
- December 1 to May 16: No dogs in Spring Gulch and Stuart Peak Trail 517
- Yearlong dog restrictions: Sawmill and Curry Gulch
- No dog restrictions: Woods Gulch
Pattee Canyon Recreation Area
- Pick up and pack out your dog's wastes
- Northside and Southside Ski Trails (winter)
- To prevent damage to groomed cross-country ski trails, dogs are prohibited on groomed trails but are allowed on the Deer Creek and Sam Braxton trails
- No Restrictions: Crazy Canyon west to City of Missoula property
Blue Mountain Recreation Area
- Pick up and pack out your dog's wastes
- No other dog restrictions
- Large areas especially well-suited for dogs on voice restraint
Sign up to win!
Sign up to get occasional updates on Parks programs, projects and special events...new subscribers are entered into a monthly drawing for fun prizes!