Property owners in Missoula are responsible for making sure the sidewalks adjacent to their properties are clear of snow and ice. The City of Missoula asks residents to please help keep our community safe by cleaning their sidewalks and helping their neighbors whenever possible.
City law requires residents to clear sidewalks of snow and ice by 9 a.m. the morning after a snowfall. (Missoula Municipal Code 12.16.30) Here are some basic tips:
• Make sure to shovel the snow onto your own property.
• Do not shovel snow into the street, bike lanes or parking lanes.
• Do not cover fire hydrants with snow. City firefighters need quick access to the hydrant and its water to fight fires, and Missoula Water staff need access to make repairs.
• Do not use deicing agents on vulnerable new sidewalks for two years after installation. During that time, while the new walk is curing, use sand or other non-corrosive materials.
The City encourages Missoulians to help their neighbors or ask their neighbors for help when shoveling is a challenge. Renters should check their rental agreements or ask their landlords if they are responsible for clearing the sidewalks around their rental properties.
The City’s policy for handling complaints about uncleared sidewalks is as follows:
• First property address complaint: Notice of Violation letter is mailed to the property owner and tenant, if applicable.
• Second property address complaint: Final Notice of Violation letter and intent to clear snow by City contractor for this and any future violations is mailed to the property owner and tenant, if applicable.
• Third and all future complaints that calendar year: No notice by mail will be given to the property owner or tenant. Snow will be removed by a City contractor, and a bill will be sent to the property owner. The bill will include an administrative fee and must be paid within 30 days or will be levied to the property owner’s tax bill.
• For information on complaints, see our website page Sidewalk Snow Shoveling at https://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/2848/Sidewalk-Snow-Removal