July, 2020 update: The Zootown Classic Pickleball Tournament, August 7-9, has been canceled due to restrictions on group size related to COVID-19 prevention. We apologize for the inconvenience.
June 2020 - Returning To Facilitated Play
Over the last few months, we’ve all had to adapt to monumental changes in the way we live, work, and play to protect public health. We appreciate your cooperation and support as we work together to reopen facilities safely and resume recreation programs. Please review the COVID-19 safety procedures here. Pickleball facilitated play begins Monday, June 15. Questions or suggestions? Contact Recreation Specialist Hunter Gragert via email or at 552-6664.
- Register online or call 721-PARK (7275.) Join us for 1-hour Learn to Play clinics! Parks and Recreation staff and/or Zoo Town Pickleball players will be on hand to teach you the basics of the game and get you ready to attend our Open Play sessions and/or League Play. All necessary equipment (paddles, balls, nets) will be available to use during the clinic. Pre-registration required. If you’ve never played pickleball, this is the place to start. For ages 12+.
- 17 weeks of play for only $3.24/week with a season pass!
- Purchase passes at the courts during Reserve Open Play, cash or check only, please.
- Sanitized balls and paddles provided.
- On-site facilitator to set up matches or add additional nets/courts as needed to meet capacity and reduce wait times.
- Fees help support pickleball facilities maintenance.
- Register with a credit card at www.missoulaparks.org/register, or give us a call at 721-PARK (7275.) The Currents registration desk is currently closed to the public, but phones are staffed 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., weekdays.
|Pickleball Schedules and Programs|
|Summer/Fall 2020 Pickleball Clinics and Programs Learn To Play, Open Play and more!|
|Monthly Pickleball Google Calendar|
|2019 Levels of Play Definitions|
Pickleball is one of the fastest-growing sports the Missoula valley and Parks and Recreation is pleased to continue our popular Open Play sessions, Learn to Play clinics, and Ladder League. View our monthly email updates at left. Sign up for occasional Pickleball Email Updates.
Join us for outdoor play at the brand new courts at Fort Missoula Regional Park. When the weather turns cold, we’ll move indoors to Parks and Recreation’s Sports and Wellness Gym, 1515 Fairview. For more information, call 552-6664, or email us.
What Is Pickleball?
Pickleball is a fun court sport played on a badminton-sized court with the net lowered to 34 inches at the center. It is played with a perforated plastic ball, similar to a whiffle ball, and wood or composite paddles about twice the size of ping-pong paddles. It can be played indoors or outdoors and is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a fast- paced, competitive game for experienced players. In addition to being fun, the game has developed a reputation for its friendly and social nature.
How it is Played
Pickleball can be played as singles or doubles. New players can learn the game quickly in a single session. No special apparel is needed, just something comfortable and appropriate for a court sport. Equipment is inexpensive and easily portable. It can be played at a leisurely pace or at a highly competitive level—making it ideal for all ages and abilities.