- Fire Department
- MFD Employment
MFD Recruiting & Employment
Whether you are looking to start your career or looking to change your career path, becoming a firefighter can provide a challenging yet very rewarding opportunity for those interested.
The path to becoming employed as a career firefighter has several requirements. Below we have outlined resources and suggestions on how to become a firefighter along with our current employment process.
- No employment opportunities being offered at this time @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- For High School Students
- MFD Firefighter Eligibility
- Application Process
- Testing Consortium
- Additional Testing
Whether it has been your lifelong goal or you just decided to become a firefighter, there is no doubt you will find this career path to be exciting and diverse! Physical fitness, teamwork, job security, and benefits are just some of the reasons why a career in fire service is rewarding. Here are some details on how to get a jumpstart on your career:
- Obtain your high school diploma or get your GED certificate
- Maintain a clean driving and personal record
- Get involved in the community or with other fire service opportunities
- Obtain your Basic EMT Certificate/License
- Visit a fire station in Missoula or request to do a Ride Along
There are a number of local organizations that offer Basic EMT courses throughout the year. Here are a few:
Missoula Fire Department Firefighter Eligibility Qualifications
The Missoula Fire Department (MFD) is a full-time career department. We accept applicants on an annual basis and hire based on vacancy and budget allowances. We determine candidates based on qualifications which include experience, EMT requirements, certifications, and successful completion of both a written and physical test.
To be considered for employment, according to Montana Code 7-33-4107 applicants must:
- (1) must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States;
- (2) must be at least 18 years of age;
- (3) must be a high school graduate or have been issued a high school equivalency diploma by the superintendent of public instruction or by an appropriate issuing agency of another state or of the federal government;
- (4) must possess or be eligible for a valid Montana driver's license;
- (5) shall pass a physical examination by a qualified physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse, who is not the applicant's personal physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse, appointed by the employing authority to determine if the applicant is free from any mental or physical condition that might adversely affect the applicant's performance of the duties of a firefighter, including requirements described in 7-33-1902;
- (6) must be fingerprinted and a search must be made of the local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record; and
- (7) may not have been convicted of a crime for which the applicant could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary.
Additionally, MFD requires that applicants be certified as an EMT-Basic with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT-B) or as a Montana EMT Basic.
Firefighter Application Process CURRENTLY CLOSED
MFD's current application period for Probationary Firefighter Trainees is CLOSED. A typical application process will include:
- Completion of a City of Missoula online application and MFD Station 1 Apparatus and Crew submittal of all required documents and certifications to the City of Missoula Human Resources Department.
- Register with Public Safety Testing (PST) to complete your required physical and written exams at Public Safety Testing (PST). For questions about the written exam or CPAT testing, please contact PST at email@example.com.
- Interviews for the Missoula Fire Department hiring pool will be conducted annually. To be considered for employment, potential hires must have completed and passed both the written and physical portions of the PST tests.
- Missoula Fire Department will post dates for our next application period as soon as they are available.
MFD is strongly recommending that you take your written and physical tests as soon as possible after dates are posted. Sign up at the PST website for available options.
MFD makes its best effort to send letters of acceptance or denial throughout our process to all of our interested candidates.
Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium
The Missoula Fire Department is a member of the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium along with other Montana state fire departments including Belgrade, Big Sky, Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Havre, Helena, Miles City, Lockwood Fire District, Kalispell, Frenchtown Rural Fire, and the Missoula Rural Fire District.
The Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium has contracted with Public Service Testing (PST) to complete its testing criteria. PST will be offering and hosting both the physical and written portions in multiple formats and locations.
Applicants who successfully complete the testing may submit applications with any of the participating departments (application deadlines and requirements may vary for each department).
Additional Testing Information
Each participating consortium department conducts additional selection processes in conjunction with the testing process.
- A fee is required.
- Please check the PST website for additional information.
The City of Missoula and the Missoula Fire Department is an equal employment/affirmative action employer.
- If you are interested in employment with MFD and are interested in participating in a ride-along, please contact us at 406-552-6210 to request approval by one of our chiefs.
- Additional informational items regarding the test and testing process are available on the Public Safety Testing Website.
- MFD's interview process is fluid based on the testing process and hiring needs.
- Additional questions about the City of Missoula's hiring processes should be directed to the City of Missoula Human Resources Department at 406-552-6130.